The Environmental Defense Institute Focuses on Nuclear Issues
The Environmental Defense Institute (EDI), is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that is actively engaged with nuclear issues, especially those involving the Idaho National Laboratory (INL), owned and operated by the U.S. Department of Energy.
Since 1990, EDI has been an advocate for environmentally sound nuclear policy decisions because the health of our environment affects people and all living things, now and in future generations. EDI provides information resources to enable citizens to make informed choices regarding these issues.
While EDI focuses on nuclear issues in Idaho, we follow nuclear energy and weapons issues at other U.S. Department of Energy sites, including Sandia National Laboratory (SNL),the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) in New Mexico, and Hanford in Washington state. We also follow nuclear energy issues nationally and internationally, from U.S. spent fuel issues to the nuclear catastrophe at Fukushima in Japan.
Read Our Newsletter
Read our latest Newsletter covering INL, national, and international nuclear issues. View past newsletters here.
Please read our special 30 Year Anniversary of Chernobyl April 2016 newsletter with important biodosimetry and human epidemiology findings and more. here.
See Video by Ian Goddard on Radiation Health here.
Read Our Most Recent Reports
- Mackay Dam: A Preventable Disaster, Letter to Idaho Gov. C.L.Butch Otter, by David McCoy and Chuck Broscious, Revised March 2017 and click here for more details about Mackay Dam hazards. Click for IDWR inspection photos: Top view of the dam; Outlet of dam; Toe of dam view of outlet pipe; Inlet tower cracks and rock cliff; Leakage inside the pipe tunnel; Spauling inside the pipe tunnel; Offset of spillway panels; IDWR Mackay dam inspection reports cited
- Tritium at 800 pCi/L in the Snake River Plain Aquifer in the Magic Valley at Kimama: Why This Matters by Tami Thatcher, Updated January 5, 2017 and click here for Factsheet including uranium and thorium decay series
- Comments on Final EIS for Recapitalization of Infrastructure Supporting Naval Pent Nuclear Fuel Handling at Naval Reactors Facility, Department of Energy, Idaho National Laboratory by Chuck Broscious, November 2016 and click here for Final EIS NNPP Report attachments
- EDI Comments on the Department of Energy's Consent-Based Siting Process for Interim Storage and Permanent Disposal of Spent Nuclear Fuel and High Level Waste, by Tami Thatcher 07/31/16
- The Downside of High Burnup Fuel by Robert Alvarez, 07/15/16
- EDI Comments in INL's Calcine Storage Vulnerability, by Tami Thatcher and Chuck Broscious, 07/11/16
- EDI 2016 Earth Day Report describing the "Forever" Contamination Sites at the Idaho National Laboratory, by Tami Thatcher, 04/23/16
- US DOE's Atomic Defense Budget for FY 2017 by Robert Alvarez
- Top Ten Facilities Likely to have Given Excessive Radiation Doses to Idaho National Laboratory Workers by Tami Thatcher and click here to go to the CDC's INL page for Radiation Dose Reconstruction
- Review of Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program NRF Spent Nuclear Fuel Handling and CERCLA Cleanup Radioactive Waste Management at INL by Chuck Broscious and click here for Report attachments
- Comments on the Recapitalization of Infrastructure Supporting Naval Spent Nuclear Fuel Handling at the Idaho National Laboratory, DOE/EIS-0453D Draft DOE/EIS-0453D, Chuck Brocious, 8/17/15 and click here for Report attachments
- Comments on the Recapitalization of Infrastructure Supporting Naval Spent Nuclear Fuel Handling at the Idaho National Laboratory, DOE/EIS-0453D , By Tami Thatcher, 8/10/15
- Breach of Article VI of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons - Amicus Brief Case: 15-15636 (8/07/2015) by Hans M. Kristensen, Robert Alvarez, Dr. James E. Doyle, and Nuclear Watch New Mexico
- EDI Comments on the Department of Energy's Supplement Analysis Draft for Two Proposed Shipment of Spent Fuel to the Idaho National Laboratory, By Tami Thatcher, 7/14/15
- The Hidden Truth About INL Drinking Water, By Tami Thatcher, 6/22/15
- The Marshall Islands and the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, By Robert Alvarvez, 5/28/15
- Rebranding the Nuclear Weapons Complex Won't Reform It, By Robert Alvarvez
- Nuclear Weapons Dismantlement Problems, Robert Alvarez, 10/24/14
- Y-12: Poster Child for a Dysfunctional Nuclear Weapons Complex, Robert Alvarez
- Snake River Plain Aquifer: The Essentials
Unwarranted Confidence in DOE's Remote-Handled Low-Level Waste Facility